geomview bug report: names in the object browser

  • To: software
  • Subject: geomview bug report: names in the object browser
  • From: mbp
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 92 10:26:56 CST

I have the following in a file called "things":

	INST
	transform
	1 0 0 0
	0 1 0 0
	0 0 1 0
	1 1 1 1
	geom
	< littlebox

and the following in "littlebox":

	INST
	transform
	.1 0 0 0
	0 .1 0 0
	0 0 .1 0
	0 0 0  1
	geom
	LIST
	OFF
	8 6 12

	-0.5 -0.5 -0.5	# 0
	 0.5 -0.5 -0.5	# 1
	 0.5  0.5 -0.5	# 2
	-0.5  0.5 -0.5	# 3
	-0.5 -0.5  0.5	# 4
	 0.5 -0.5  0.5	# 5
	 0.5  0.5  0.5	# 6
	-0.5  0.5  0.5	# 7

	4 0 1 2 3
	4 4 5 6 7
	4 2 3 7 6
	4 0 1 5 4
	4 0 4 7 3
	4 1 2 6 5
	INST
	transform
	1 0 0 0
	0 1 0 0
	0 0 1 0
	0 0 0 .7
	unit < xyz

and finally, "xyz" is:

	VECT
	8 19 3

	2
	2
	2
	2
	2
	3
	2
	4

	1
	0
	0
	1
	0
	0
	1
	0

	-1 0 0  1 0 0
	1 -.05 .05   1  .05 .25
	1  .05 .05   1 -.05 .25

	0 -1 0  0 1 0
	-.05 1 .25   0  1   .15
	 .05 1 .25   0  1   .15   0  1  .05

	0 0 -1  0 0 1
	-.05 .25 1  .05 .25 1   -.05 .05 1   .05  .05  1

	1 0 0 1
	0 1 0 1
	0 .6 1 1

When I load "things" into geomview via the load button (using the
input panel, not the file browser), the strangest things happen
(pun??): it seems to alternate between using the names "things",
"littlebox", and "li" in the object browser.  For example,
here is the result of loading "things" 8 times in a row:

	[g0] World
	[g1] littlebox
	[g2] things
	[g3] littlebox<2>
	[g4] things[x]
	[g5] li
	[g6] things<3>
	[g7] li<2>
	[g8] things<4>
	[c] Current Camera

The only systematic thing that I have noticed is that the name
"things" is used every other time.  The other times it seems to
bounce somewhat randomly between "littlebox" and "li".

I did this many times, with various attempts at deleting and
re-loading, and at one point geomview crashed with a bus error upon my
attempt to delete an object.

I'm working on hyperbolic mode stuff right now and don't feel like
delving into this at the moment; I just thought I'd submit it as an
official bug report in case anyone else wants to deal with it.

--Mark