MESH BINARY

Rob,
   Yes indeed there seems to be a bug, or at least an undocumented
feature, in the binary mesh format.  As far as I can tell your files
are fine.  I found a spot in the mesh source with a comment that says
something about backward compatibility followed by code that tries to
read several things (including a magic number and a flag value and
some other things) which are not part of the documented MESH format.
Apparently they were part of an older format, but it looks to me like
the code still tries to read that format.
   I think Stuart wrote this part of the code so I'd like to see
what he says before changing it.  Can you get by with ascii data
till tomorrow?

--Mark

Stuart: the code I looked at is in meshload.c starting at line 243.