an idea about non-documentation

  • To: software
  • Subject: an idea about non-documentation
  • From: roseman
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 93 11:14:51 -0600

Another documentation suggestion.  I'm thinking about geomview in
particular.

I like the section "TROUBLESHOOTING " in the documentation of Warp.
Basically all these things are on the topic of  "why doesn't the
thing look like I think it should" ?

There are a lot of situations in geomview where a user can encounter
some unexpected (yet correct) viewing situation.  For example, an
object "invisible" because of clipping; a geom intended to be
four-dimensional loaded as a 3d-object ( as homogeneous coordinates),
normalization confusion, etc.

And of course no-one wants to read documentation.

So, it might be useful if there were a some geom puzzles module.
It would allow the user to select puzzle and try & figure out what to
do about it.  A puzzle file would set up the universe with these
"unusual" viewing situations.  A help button(s) would give a
solution&explanation. Other kinds of puzzles might be included that
would help the user learn what geom could do.

IF this seems like it might be useful, I would be willing to try &
work on such a module (on the NeXT).

Dennis