a possible problem with NeXT geomview

  • To: software
  • Subject: a possible problem with NeXT geomview
  • From: roseman
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 93 19:20:51 -0600

FYI  I had a very strange thing happen--it might be a bug but I
havn't been able to repeat it. I send this for the information in
case it might happen again, perhaps to someone else.

I was viewing a very large geom with the current version
(geomview.scott).  I was moving some windows in front of the camera
window and looking at what happens when one exposes the camera window
again. (What happens is that the portion covered up is not updated
until it is uncovered again thus one has a strange looking thing for
a short time.  This is all standard stuff; there was no special
reason to be doing this other than curiosity.)  Anyhow, some how what
I did caused my Window Server to die leaving the following trail of
error messages:

sh: 3450 Hangup
Mar  1 18:51:47 julia geomview[3441]: DPS client library error:
Invalid port, DPSContext 0, data 25
Warning in context 3441geomview in command RiClipping:
IllegalNesting:

	inside 'camera' block.

Warning in context 3441geomview in command RiHider:  IllegalNesting:

	inside 'world' block.

Warning in context 3441geomview in command RiDisplay:
IllegalNesting:

	inside 'world' block.

Warning in context 3441geomview in command RiClipping:
IllegalNesting:

	inside 'camera' block.

Warning in context 3441geomview in command RiClipping:
IllegalNesting:

	inside 'world' block.

Warning in context 3441geomview in command RiFormat:  IllegalNesting:

	inside 'world' block.

Warning in context 3441geomview in command RiFrameBegin:
IllegalNesting:

	inside 'frame' block.

Warning in context 3441geomview in command RiFrameBegin:
IllegalNesting:

	inside 'world' block.

Warning in context 3441geomview in command RiWorldBegin:
IllegalNesting:

	inside 'world' block.

[...]

Mar  1 18:51:51 julia last message repeated 4 times
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia Preferences[3315]: DPS client library error:
Error while writing to connection, DPSContext 52294, data -102
Mar  1 18:51:52 Workspace[3314]: Exiting due to Window Server death
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia Preferences[3315]: Exiting due to Window Server
death
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia geomview[3441]: DPS client library error: Error
while writing to connection, DPSContext 390d40, data -102
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia geomview[3441]: Exiting due to Window Server
death
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia Mail[3316]: DPS client library error: Error
while writing to connection, DPSContext 7a224, data -102
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia Mail[3316]: Exiting due to Window Server death
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia PrinterPal[3357]: DPS client library error:
Error while writing to connection, DPSContext 201e4, data -102
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia PrinterPal[3357]: Exiting due to Window Server
death
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia WM[3314]: DPS client library error: Error while
writing to connection, DPSContext c425c, data -102
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia Terminal[3338]: DPS client library error: Error
while writing to connection, DPSContext 46278, data -102
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia Edit[3336]: DPS client library error: Error
while writing to connection, DPSContext 7c1f8, data -102
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia Terminal[3338]: Exiting due to Window Server
death
Mar  1 18:51:52 julia Edit[3336]: Exiting due to Window Server death