I am trying to build  a geom by putting things together called
slices.

Each of these is a collection of geoms which I loaded, arranged and
saved using the "save as commands" option of geomview.  (All done
with normalization off).  I do not want to "save as geometry" since I
may want to move these parts around later.

I have gotten two files--slice1.off and slice2.off which I have put
in /u/roseman at the Center.

slice1.off  consists of a "slice-thing1"  and three little
dodecahedra within the bbox of the  "slice-thing1".

slice2.off  consists of a "slice-thing2"  and three little
dodecahedra within the bbox of the  "slice-thing2".

To get slice2.off, I took slice1.off, deleted "slice-thing1", loaded
"slice-thing2" and then moved the three little dodecahedra into the
new bbox. Then I saved it.

The two bounding boxes meet in (only) a common face.

Each of these, separately, looks just fine; I just want to see both
at once.

That is, I want to put all this together and get the two slice-things
(they fit together seamlessly) and six little dodecahedra.  (The
result I am after can be seen by loading slice1.off and then
slice2new.off)

I thought I could get what I want by first loading slice1.off in
geomview, then loading slice2.off.

I get the slices fitting together all right, but the little
dodecahedra are not.   Two seem to have disappeared, a third is
misplaced.

(I've tried this on Iris and Next)

 1) I don't understand exactly why I get the result I see when I load
both of these files--but the reason it doesn't work has to do with
the way I constructed the files.

 The problem is the fact that the dodecahedra in the separate files
share names.  In fact, if I go in and "hand edit the ddd names" I can
get slice2new.off (also in /u/roseman and this works).

"diff slice2.off slice2new.off" will show the changes I have done.

2)  I don't see how to do what I want to do in geomview.  (Actually,
the thing that I'm after will be obtained by putting together 25-30
of these slices, by adding slice after slice, with the slices
becoming more complex.  And assuming this works out I will  then will
want to go and do some more.examples of this kind ). To get the final
result that calls for a lot of ugly hand editing of a lot of geom
files--hardly interactive graphics.