anytooff is off by a dimension (again)

  • To: software
  • Subject: anytooff is off by a dimension (again)
  • From: roseman
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 93 14:55:13 -0600

Currently I  get the following behavior my (3d) VECT is turned to a
4OFF:

julia 67% more ve
VECT
# this a path forming a  "v"
1    3  0  # there are 1 polypaths, 3 vertices, 0 colors
3  # the 3 verticies on each line
0   # the number of colors on these paths
0   0   0  # now here come the vertex coordinates
1   1   0
0   2   0

julia 68% /u/gcg/ngrap/bin/next/anytooff <ve> ve.off
julia 69% more ve.off
4OFF
3 2 3

0 0 0 1
1 1 0 1
0 2 0 1

2        0 1
2        1 2

Is this intentional ? If so it is not documented.

Neither in:

"DESCRIPTION
     Anytooff reads a geom from standard in and outputs  the  new
     polylist to standard out."

nor in

"  When vector objects are switched into  polylists,  they  are
     transformed  into  polygons with two vertices.  The faces of
     the polygons are the same color as the  given  vectors,  but
     the  edges  of  the  polygons,  which are their only visible
     aspect, have no color."

Personally it seems wrong to me and I've wasted a lot of time (yet
again) on this stuff.  This is not the first time I've had problems
with anytooff making 3d input into 4OFFs.  I am very concerned with
the distinction between a point in Euclidian 4-space and a point in
3d-space as represented in 4 homogeneous coords.

(I know it looks the same on the screen in geom view)  But what if
one wants to use anytooff to pipe it as input to some other program
one is writing that might turn this into another geom, etc.  Then
having this 4OFF appear will be un-anticipated.

Dennis.