[burchard: mgri weirdness, or maybe mggettransform() weirdness?]

  • To: software
  • Subject: [burchard: mgri weirdness, or maybe mggettransform() weirdness?]
  • From: munzner
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 16:59:48 -0600

Something peculiar occasionally happens to me in oogldemo: the edges
of a polyhedral Geom are rendered as if with a different (typically
degenerate) transform than the faces.  The faces are drawn correctly,
but the entire skin of edges has been peeled off the object,
typically being collapsed into a plane (perhaps always the X-Z
plane?).  Has this ever been seen before?

I haven't been able to reproduce this problem with the NeXT version
of Geomview, even the recent compiled version Geomview12-30.app which
Stuart pointed me toward.

Could it be that I am calling the MG library in a sequence which is
not guaranteed to be reliable?  Or, more likely, could it be that
mggettransform() is unreliable?  (It's the one MG call I'm making
that isn't used in any essential way in Geomview.)  So that you can
easily check my usage of MG, I've extracted an outline of all the MG
calls I make:

  /* setup */
  mgContext = mgctxcreate(
    MG_BACKGROUND, &backColor,
    MG_ZNUDGE, 3.E-5,
    MG_CAMERA, mgCamera,
    MG_APPEAR, mgAppearance,
    MG_WnSet, WN_XSIZE, frame.width, WN_YSIZE, frame.height, WN_END,
    MG_END);
  mgreshapeviewport();
  mgctxselect(mgContext);
  mgworldbegin();