using Mathematica and Geomview on different machines

  • To: nils at geom
  • Subject: using Mathematica and Geomview on different machines
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 1994 15:50:49 -0500 (EST)

To whom it may concern,

My name is Juan Villacis, and I am taking a class here at Indiana
University.  In this class, we are using the Mathematica and Geomview
packages to learn about scientific visualization.

I've talked to my professor and to some staff here at the university
about whether the following can be done:  pipe graphic obtjects from
mathematica into geomview and send the display output to my local
machine in an interactive way.  Below is a picture that illustrates this ...

          Host------------------------------>Host
          ----                               ----
   DEC RISC (mathematica2.2)       Sun4 (geomview1.4.1)
            \                                 /
             \                               /
              \                             /
               \                           /
                \                         /
                 \                       /
                  \                     /
                   \                   /
                    \                 /
                     \               /
                      \             /
                       \           /
                        \         /
                         \       /
                          Display
                          -------
                  my machine, has access to
                  both DEC RISC and Sun4,
                  runs X-windows

The only "link" which I haven't been able to figure out (and no one I've
talked to seems to know how to do it either), is the one between the
mathematica host and the geomview host.  I would like to have this interactive,
i.e., pipe the files from mathematica to geomview and display them in geomview.
I did read the document,

     				OOGL.m.doc

and I gather from it that this should be *possible*.  However, after
trying some of the suggestions, I still was unable to make it work.

Would you know if this can be done as I described?  Any hints/methods would
be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

-juan