3D library for X

  • To: software (Geometry Center Software Development Group)
  • Subject: 3D library for X
  • From: trowley
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jul 94 13:17:27 CDT

A new 3D graphics library was released yesterday.  It aims for GL
compatibility in the future.  I've compiled it and the demos at
~trowley/work/tmp/tagl.

- Tim Rowley
  trowley at geom.umn.edu

---------------------------CUT HERE--------------------------------

         	               TAGL 1.0
                               ========

TAGL is a portable library wich offers similar functionalities
as SGI-GL. It will become compatible with GL in the future.

Requirement:
============

	o A Unix system with X11R5 and MIT XSHM extension.
	  (tested under Linux and SunOS)
	o Can be easily ported to whatever system wich has
	  linear memory and a 8bpp (I think it takes 1/4h
          to port it, that what it took for svgalib under
          Linux).

Features:
=========

	o Double buffering
	o Polygon clipping
	o Polygon drawing, filling and shading (Gouraud)
	o Dithering
	o Z-Buffer
	o Built-in font (it will use X11 fonts in the future)
	o Basic io (Keyboard and mouse)
	o Schumaker convex grape rendering
	o Simple lighting model
	o Depth cueing
	o Zooming
	o Simple 3D transform
	o Fast integer fixed point math
	o Built in sine and cosine tables

Sample programs:
================

	o testgl: basic test of the library, rotate 3d objects
	  as convex grapes, test ZBuffer.

	o mars: something that will become similar to the mars
	  demo (to mars's author: excuse me to have given the
	  same name as your demo to such a thing, but it's only
	  a small test of the library, it will become something
	  that looks like your demo later on ...)

	o rotate: rotate objects in off format and Aegis 3DG1 format.
	  test rendering methods, ZBuffer, mouse input and built-in font.

	  sample off files come from avalon.chinalake.navy.mil (129.131.1.255)
	  and 3DG1 files have been modelled by a friend of mine,
	  Jean Balcaen. (Thanx a lot, Jean !!)
	  3DG1 have not always their normal vectors set properly, so
	  lighting may look strange on these files.

( about which key does what, h toggles help screen, some functions are
  not in the help screen, so look at the source code - I don't have enough
  time to write sample programs man pages - It will come later on with
  tagl 2.0 distrib )

	sunsite.unc.edu