[Update REQ 5021]: text in geomview

On Fri, 19 Aug 1994, C.W. Woegerbauer wrote:

> Dear Ed Chi!
>
> Thank you for your immediate help about how to insert text
> into geomview scenes.
>
> I wanted to use the labeler but I had to realize that I lack
> the Display PostScript  System  (DPS) to render text.
> Do you happen to know where I can get the DPS for sgi from?
>
> I'm very grateful for your help!
>

> Clemens Woegerbauer
>
> Dept. of Chem.
> University of Cambridge
> UK

Dear Clemens,

Apparently, DPS is considered an extension to the X windowing system.  I
am enclosing the man page for DPS below.  This will give you some
information about it.  Maybe someone else at the center knows more about
it??  Anyone?

------------------ cut cut -------------------------

     Display PostScript(1)be Systems (8 A August 1991)play PostScript(1)
     NAME
          Display PostScript - PostScript language imaging for the X
          Window System
     DESCRIPTION
          This manual page provides some information about the Display
          PostScript system.
            The first section, INTRODUCTION, contains a brief non-
            technical description of the Display PostScript system.
            The following sections are intended for the application
            developer who is interested in more detailed technical
            information about the architecture.
            The REFERENCES section provides information on available
            documentation and on Adobe's public access file server.

        INTRODUCTION
          The PostScript language is a simple interpretive programming
          language with powerful graphics capabilities. Its primary
          application is to describe the appearance of text, graphical
          shapes, and images on printed or displayed pages.  If an
          application, such as a word processing system or graphics
          package, produces a page description using the PostScript
          language, you can print the pages on a wide variety of
          PostScript printers and view them on monitors that use the
          Display PostScript system.

          The Display PostScript system is a high-performance
          implementation of the PostScript language for interactive
          computer displays. The use of the Display PostScript system
          ensures true WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) between
          the display and any PostScript printer.

        THE DISPLAY POSTSCRIPT SYSTEM
          The Display PostScript system is part of the X Window System
          and is implemented as an X extension. Display PostScript
          applications use window system features for window placement
          and sizing, menu creation, and event handling, while using
          Display PostScript features to take care of imaging inside
          the window.
          Display PostScript system components include:
            The PostScript interpreter.
            The Client Library - a C language interface to the basic
            facilities of the Display PostScript system.

            pswrap - a preprocessor that prepares PostScript language

            programs for invocation from a C program.
          These components are discussed below.

        APPLICATION BUILDING BLOCKS
          Most of your application will be written in C or another
          high-level language.  You'll call Client Library procedures
          to start a PostScript execution context, send programs and
          data to the PostScript interpreter, and get results from the
          interpreter.  The Client Library is the application's
          primary interface to the Display PostScript system.
          In addition, you'll call wraps - PostScript language
          procedures developed specifically for your application.
          Wraps, short for wrapped procedures, are created by the
          pswrap translator from PostScript language programs written
          to meet application needs.

        USING pswrap
          Your application will perform calculations, communicate with
          the window system, read and write files, and do other
          application processing in C or another high-level language.
          It will perform imaging tasks by calling wrapped procedures
          to send PostScript language programs to the interpreter.
          The pswrap translator creates these wraps from PostScript
          language input.
          pswrap takes a PostScript language program as input and
          returns a C language program.  After you compile the
          resulting C program and link it into your application,
          calling the wrap will transmit a stream of PostScript
          language binary objects to the interpreter.
          For simple operations, an application program can send
          PostScript language fragments to the interpreter by calling
          single-operator procedures - each one the equivalent of a
          single PostScript operator - as described in the Client
          Library Reference Manual. It is also possible for an
          application to send PostScript language programs as ASCII
          text, as if to a laser printer with a PostScript
          interpreter.  This technique can be used for development and
          debugging or for displaying PostScript language code
          imported by the application - for instance, from an EPS
          file.
          Consider a wrap, PSWDisplayText, that places text on the
          screen at a particular x,y coordinate.  A call to
          PSWDisplayText from the application program might look
          something like this:
                PSWDisplayText(72.0, 100.0, "Hello World");
          The body of the PSWDisplayText procedure is actually written
          in the PostScript language.  It was defined to pswrap as
          follows:
               defineps PSWDisplayText(float X,Y; char *text)
                    X Y moveto
                    (text) show
               endps
          In the wrap definition, the defineps and endps keywords tell
          pswrap where a given PostScript language program begins and
          ends.  The defineps statement defines the resulting
          procedure call.  The pswrap translator processes this input
          and produces a C language source-code file.  When compiled
          and linked with the application, the PSWDisplayText
          procedure sends a PostScript language program to the
          interpreter (binary-encoded for more efficient processing),
          causing the specified text to be displayed.
          See the pswrap Reference Manual discussed in the REFERENCES
          section for further information.

        THE CLIENT LIBRARY
          The Client Library is a linkable library of compiled C
          procedures that provides an interface between the
          application and the Display PostScript system.  It creates
          an environment for handling imaging calls to specific Client
          Library procedures like DPSmoveto and to custom wraps
          written for the application.
          To the application programmer, it appears that Client
          Library procedures directly produce graphical output on the
          display. In fact, these procedures generate PostScript
          language statements and transmit them to the PostScript
          interpreter for execution; the PostScript interpreter then
          produces graphical output that is displayed by device-
          specific procedures in the Display PostScript system. In
          this way, the Client Library makes the full power of the
          PostScript interpreter and imaging model available to a C
          language program.
          The Client Library includes procedures for creating,
          communicating with, and destroying PostScript execution
          contexts. A context consists of all the information (or
          "state") needed by the PostScript interpreter to execute a
          PostScript language program. In the Client Library
          interface, each context is represented by a DPSContextRec
          data structure pointed to by a DPSContext handle. PostScript
          execution contexts are described in PostScript Language
          Extensions for the Display PostScript System.

     REFERENCES
          Information about the PostScript Language and the Display
          PostScript system is available in a number of manuals and
          via the public access file server described below.

        POSTSCRIPT LANGUAGE MANUALS
          If you're new to the PostScript language, you should first
          read the following manuals (published by Addison-Wesley and
          available from Adobe Systems Incorporated or through your
          technical bookstore):
          PostScript Language Reference Manual, Second Edition
            The standard reference for the PostScript language.
            Describes the PostScript imaging model and the concepts
            and facilities of the PostScript interpreter. Documents
            the PostScript language.  Required reading.
          PostScript Language Tutorial and Cookbook
            Introduction to the PostScript language in an informal,
            interactive style.  Contains a collection of example
            programs that illustrate the PostScript imaging model.
          PostScript Language Program Design
            Guidelines for the advanced developer to use in designing
            and debugging PostScript language programs.  Printer-
            oriented, but most of the information is relevant to
            writing a Display PostScript application.

        DISPLAY POSTSCRIPT MANUALS
          Once you're up to speed in the PostScript language, read The
          Display PostScript System, a developer reference binder that
          contains the following manuals:
          PostScript Language Extensions for the Display PostScript
          System
            Describes the extensions to the PostScript language that
            were made for the Display PostScript system, such as
            alternative PostScript language encodings, multiple
            execution contexts, user paths, window system support, and
            memory management (also documented in the PostScript
            Language Reference Manual, Second Edition).  Introduces
            important system concepts and documents additional
            PostScript operators.
          Client Library Reference Manual
            Describes the procedural interface to the Display
            PostScript system.  Tells how to send programs and data to
            a PostScript execution context, how to handle context
            output, how to create and terminate a context.  Contains
            procedure definitions, programming tips, and a sample
            application program.
          pswrap Reference Manual
            Describes how to define C-callable procedures that contain
            PostScript language programs.  Tells how to declare input
            arguments and output to be received from the interpreter.
            Documents the pswrap command line options.
          PostScript Language Color Extension
            Describes color extensions to the PostScript language,
            including multiple color images, color halftone screen
            definitions, color correction, and CMYK color
            specification.
          X Window System Programmer's Supplement to the Client
          Library Reference Manual
            Describes information about the Client Library interface
            that is specific to the X Window System, such as context
            creation and additional error codes.

        THE PUBLIC ACCESS FILE SERVER
          Adobe Systems Incorporated provides a public access file
          server. If you have access to Internet or UUCP electronic
          mail, you can use the public access file server to obtain
          the following information:
                 Display PostScript system manuals
                 Code examples
                 AFM files
                 Documentation updates
          The public access file server is a mail-response program.
          That is, you send it a request by electronic mail and it
          mails back a response.  (The ``Subject:'' line is treated as
          part of the message by the file server.)
          To send mail to the file server, use one of the following
          addresses:
            Internet ps-file-server at adobe.com
            UUCP ...!decwrl!adobe!ps-file-server
          To receive a quick summary of file server commands, send the
          following message:
            help
          To receive detailed information on how to use the file
          server, send the following message:
            send Documents long.help

     SEE ALSO
          pswrap(1), xpsview(1), dpsexec(1).

     NOTES
          Copyright 1988-1991 Adobe Systems Incorporated.
          PostScript and Display PostScript are registered trademarks
          of Adobe Systems Incorporated.

--Ed

** <a href="http://www.geom.umn.edu/people/chi.html"></a> **
** email addr-- ehhchi at epx.cis.umn.edu (general)          **
**              chi at geom.umn.edu       (WebOOGL, math)    **
**              chi at lenti.med.umn.edu  (Bio related)      **
** Dumping messy-dos, running Linux!--Ask me about Linux! **