[ REQ 5057]: Re: .geomview

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: [ REQ 5057]: Re: .geomview
  • From: "Daeron Meyer" <daeron>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 94 15:57:36 CDT

> Dear Geomview Technical Staff,
> 	I am having trouble initializing the locations of the Main
> and Tools windows with my ~/.geomview file.  (I am using the
> latest version of geomview for Sun).  For example:  a file like:
>
> (progn
>   (ui-panel "geomview" on { position 100 200 100 200 })
>   (ui-panel "tools" off)
> )
>
> does not change the position of the geomview window, although the
> appearence of the tools window *is* suppressed.  (I can also suppress
> the geomview window, I just cannot set its position.)
> 	-Curt McMullen

If you had read the README-beta file that came with the sun version of
Geomview you would find the following known bug:

: Command line arguments for initial UI window positions are ignored as well as
: any commands for repositioning windows.

One thing you might want to do is ftp a replacement for your gvx binary which
among other things, fixes this bug.  All you do is ftp to ftp.geom.umn.edu
and grab /priv/daeron/bin/sun4/gvx.  You can use this as a drop in replacement
for your own installed gvx binary. Keep a backup of your old binary though, in
case you decide to go back to using it (since there may be new bugs introduced
with the newer binary).  For an example .geomview file that works with the
newer binary, grab /priv/daeron/bin/sun4/.geomview .

Unlike the sgi version, the x11 version positions UI windows in X window
coordinates (i.e. upper left hand corner is 0, 0). The new binary also has
fixes for numerous bugs related to the display of objects.

Daeron

p.s. please address further inquiries about geomview to software. thanks!