[ REQ 5141]: [bruss at wbkst12.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de: ]

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: [ REQ 5141]: [bruss at wbkst12.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de: ]
  • From: "Mark Phillips" <mbp>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 94 18:19:21 -0600

This came to register at geom; I'm forwarding it to software
because it contains a question that we should answer, near
the end.

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 94 00:37:09 +0100
From: bruss at wbkst12.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de (Ingo Bruss)
To: register at geom

I am:           Ingo Bruss, bossed around by Ralf Steuernagel, assistent of Professor Weule.
                bruss at wbkst10.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de

I'm using:      Geomview

I'm working on: A three-dimensional visualisation component for CAKETool,
                Computer Automated Knowledge Engineering Tool, at the
                University Karlsruhe, WBK (Institut Werkzeugmaschinen und Betriebsmittelkunde)
                Kaiserstrasse 12, 76133 Karlsruhe.
                More exactly, 2.5D- and 3D-Visualisation of trees and graphs.
                Somewhen, this will be called my diploma thesis.

I'm still evaluating Geomview (on SUN and DEC). Using a 3D-Tool (like Geomview)
instead of libraries like OpenGL or PEXlib would save me an enormous amount of work :-)
and I don't have access to 3D-application builders like explorer, data explorer, avs, ...
nor the 'open inventor'-toolkit.
 * Picking and manipulating objects seems to be possible, so that is something I'd not have to encode.
 * No bother with calibrating coordinates to fit a window.
 * No coding in C except for those external modules (maybe)  8-) !!!
 * the 'look and feel' of Geomview can be customized to fit into the 'look and feel' of CAKETool.
 * At the very least, I can use Geomview to test my 3D-graph- and tree-layout-algorithm.

A problem: I'd have to print its name on each button or vertex.
           Any hints how that could be done, short of forging my own fonts, would be greatly appreciated.

Bye,   Ingo Bruss