[ REQ 5200]: 'geomview' for Linux / Sun

	(Linux Smail3.1.28.1 #5)
	id m0rUZgo-00099jC; Wed, 18 Jan 95 14:40 GMT+0200
To: software@geom
Subject: 'geomview' for Linux / Sun
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 14:40:38 +0200
From: Rudolph Pienaar <rudolph at pangea.ee.up.ac.za>

Dear Geometry Center,

Before I start, let me apologize to Stuart Levy for cc'ing this letter to his
account. I have a software problem with 'geomview', and I understand that the
'software@geom.umn.edu' is the appropriate forum for such discussions.
However, when I fingered 'software@geom.umn.edu' I discovered that
'Computational Geometry Software Conference (cgsw) is not presently logged in.
Last seen at jordan on Fri Aug 12 15:26:23 1994'. I wasn't certain that my
question would be answered, hence the cc to Stuart. Furthermore, fingering
'register' and 'geomview-users' both returned with 'There is no user named...'
messages.

That having been said, my problem/question is quite straightforward. I do not
have the 'OOGL lisp library' with my 'geomview' distribution.

As background, I am using a Linux 486 machine and am completing my Master's in
Electrical and Electronic Engineering. My thesis, briefly, deals with
'cognitive' processing aspects related to machine vision (the thesis stradles
the areas of biosystems, AI, and control systems). Anyway, 'geomview' seems
*ideal* for my purposes - not only as a stand-alone graphical display, but
also as a source for bi-directional communication with external modules. I
intend using 'geomview' to create in the first place a 'block-world' inwhich
to conduct experiments, and secondly to supply information about this world to
external modules (freeing them from worrying about exact details of
world-representation as viewing aspect and postion in this world changes).

While going through the manual's examples (specifically 'Example 3'), I found
that I don't have the OOGL library needed for aspects of the bi-directional
communication. As a matter of fact, I don't have the lib/ directory structure
at all. Although the manual also mentions that a version of FORMS is
distributed with 'geomview', I don't have it. This is not a major problem as I
intend using 'tk' as a user interface. However, the lack of OOGL is quite
limiting.

Is the lib/ tree limited to sgi machines? Is it possible to obtain the OOGL
library and compile it for a Linux 486?

I also downloaded the 'sun4' binaries, but these too did not have a lib/ tree
structure. Furthermore, our Sun Sparc server is running SunOS 5.3 (aka Solaris
2.3) and the Sun 4.xx binaries are not compatible. Is there a new Sun release
in the wings?

Finally, congratualtions with 'geomview'. It is a very impressive and useful
software tool/graphics viewer, etc.

Thanking you for your attention to my problem, I remain

Yours Faithfully,

Rudolph Pienaar
e-mail:       rudolph at pangea.ee.up.ac.za
In Real Life: Rudolph Pienaar