Re: [Update REQ 5225]: Registering my use of Geomview

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Update REQ 5225]: Registering my use of Geomview
  • From: "Daeron Meyer" <daeron>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Feb 95 17:21:00 CST

> Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 16:12:11 -0600
> From: mbp
> To: software
> Subject: [hayes: Registering my use of Geomview]
>
> Date: Thu, 2 Feb 1995 13:18:59 -0600
> From: Paul Hayes <hayes>
> To: hayes, register at geom
> Subject: Registering my use of Geomview
>

> I am attempting to use this for visualization....
>
> Geomview seems to be surface oriented.  Do you have plans to
> make it volume oriented as well, using perhaps surfaces to
> temporarily represent the volume?
>
> The mesh and bezier examples yield Segmentation Faults and core dumps
> on my DEC Alpha 3000/600, cc, OSF1/2.0.  Where do we begin to track
> this problem?
>
> Paul Robert Hayes
> hayes.paul at mayo.edu
>
> Originator: hayes.paul at mayo.edu

We don't currently have plans to make Geomview handle volume visualizations
since there are several other programs that already do this and we don't
have the resources to work on such a project at this time.

As for the bugs you found, we've been looking into them. It seems that
when the rendering library that Geomview uses is compiled with optimization,
it crashes out on mesh's and bezier objects (which also reduce to meshes).
However, when we compiled the rendering libraries without optimization
it seemed to work okay. This could possibly be a bug in the compiler,
though we're not completely sure. If you'd like to try out the fixed
version just grab gvx.alpha in /priv/daeron/bin/ on ftp.geom.umn.edu.
It should be used as a drop in replacement for your gvx binary. If you
do try it, tell us if it works.

Thanks,

Daeron Meyer
daeron at geom.umn.edu