[ REQ 5243]: Problems with Geomview make.

Hi,

I have gotten Geomview src and Alpha bin distributions by anon ftp from one
of your mirror sites recently.  The binary Alpha distribution runs fine, of
course.  But I have two problems.

1.) I would like to build Geomview on our DECstation/MIPS systems, which
are running Ultrix V4.4.  Now I don't even come close to qualifying as a `make'
expert, so I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong.  I have followed
the instructions that come with Geomview/OOGL Release 1.5 to the letter.  I
have written a file `mk.mips' in `$GEOMROOT/makefiles' with my best inital
guesses as to what I need to specify.  Here's the file (please don't laugh if
I've done something stupid.  I may be the world's dumbest system manager):

#
# Makefile that sets machine-specific variables and rules
# for the DEC Ultrix MIPS machine
#
#
# A machine-specific makefile is included by all other makefiles.
#

CPU = mips
MACHTYPE = x11
RANLIB = /usr/bin/ranlib
CC = cc
INSTALL = /usr/bin/install
AR = /bin/ar
MKDEPFLAGS = -MM
COPTS = -O
SYSCOPTS =
SYSLIBS =
SYSXLIBS = -lXm -lXt -lXext -lX11

I have edited `mk.site.default' to specify where I want Geomview to go.  I have
edited `Makedefs.global' to hardwire mips as the CPU type.  But these things
aren't causing my problem.

When I go to the `Geomview' directory and type `make', I get an error when make
tries to make the very first target, `prep'.  I have deleted the leading `@'
signs so I get a print out of what's going on.  When it tries to `make' in the
subdirectory `src/lib/forms' (which should be immaterial to me; I'm not on an
SGI machine so I can't use the Forms library), it barfs.  Here's what I get:

rmcd03.triumf.ca {siglercm}> make
mkdir lib lib/x11       bin bin/x11     modules modules/x11 2>&- || :
(cd src/lib/forms; make all)
if [ "x11" = "sgi" ] ; then        case "`uname -r`" in                      5*) irix=5 ;;                           *)  irix=4 ;;                         esac;   echo Selecting Irix $irix libforms.a;    rm -f libforms.a;                     ln libforms$irix.a libforms.a;           /usr/bin/install -O -v -m 555 -F ../../../lib/x11 libforms.a;  fi
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I have no idea what's going wrong.  Can you give me some help??  Has anyone
else ever ported Geomview to DECstations?  Is there some fatal flaw in
DECstations that make this port impossible?

2.) I use a 486 DX/2 33MHz PC running OS/2 with the IBM TCP/IP and PMX Server
software, Version 2.0.2, as an X-windows terminal.  When I run Geomview on our
Alpha box and try to send the DISPLAY to my PC, I get the following error
message:

ralph1 {siglercm} 54 > geomview dodec
X-Geomview currently supports only 24, 8, and 1 bit
        deep displays.  No supported display depth was found.
        Please mail the output of "xdpyinfo" to
        software@geom.umn.edu
ralph1 {siglercm} 55 > xdpyinfo
name of display:    rmcxs1.triumf.ca:0.0
version number:    11.0
vendor string:    IBM Corporation
vendor release number:    5000
maximum request size:  65536 bytes
motion buffer size:  0
bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    8, MSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    MSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    2
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
keycode range:    minimum 8, maximum 168
focus:  window 0x80000d, revert to Parent
number of extensions:    1
    SHAPE
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1024x768 pixels (282x212 millimeters)
  resolution:    92x92 dots per inch
  depths (2):    1, 8
  root window id:    0x23
  depth of root window:    8 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x21
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 255
  current input event mask:    0x140000
    ResizeRedirectMask       SubstructureRedirectMask
  number of visuals:    1
  default visual id:  0x20
  visual:
    visual id:    0x20
    class:    StaticColor
    depth:    8 planes
    size of colormap:    256 entries
    red, green, blue masks:    0x0, 0x0, 0x0
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

Under supported pixmap formats, it says it supports depth 1 and depth 8
formats, which Geomview should also support.  Do you have any idea what my
problem is?  IBM's X Server may be barfing here.  I don't know how good this
version is, and I'm not planning to buy the new Warp version unless I really
need it.  Money is tight around here.

Thanks for your help.  BTW, the Forms package for SGI is now being ported to X
by T. C. Zhao in the Physics Dept. at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
(zhao at csd.uwm.edu), as well as Mark Overmars.  Thought you might be interested
in this tidbit.

					Clemmitt Sigler
					TRIUMF RMC Group/Va. Tech