[ REQ 5246]: X-geomview 1.5.0 visual support

Hi,

  Geomview gave me the following message:

  X-Geomview currently supports only 24, 8, and 1 bit
  deep displays.  No supported display depth was found.
  Please mail the output of "xdpyinfo" to
  software@geom.umn.edu

  The output of xdpyinfo is below.  As you can see, I only have one 16
plane TrueColor visual.  I can make geomview work by running the server
with 8 bitplanes, but then other applications I'm using don't work so well.
My platform is a PC running Linux with XFree86 3.1.1.  It seems common that
X servers for PC compatible machines don't simultaneously support >= 15
plane and 8 plane visuals at the same time; I've noticed this on servers
for both the S3 and Mach64 video cards.  Perhaps its a hardware limitation?

  I began making the changes for >= 15 plane support, but couldn't compile
geomview because it needed the Motif libraries.  If you could make use of
diffs let me know and I'll complete what I can without being able to test
my changes and send the diffs to you this weekend.  (Although there isn't
much to my diffs, geomview was well written enough for the changes to be
minor.)

  When I ran geomview with an 8 plane X server I was amazed at how fast
it was; very nice work!

Curt