[ REQ 5386]: Bounding Box and Geomview ... here is the workaround

Dear Sirs,
I have reported that Geomview and its derivatives (cyberview-x,cyberview3d),
generate a huge bounding box oversized, for an object having coords

21 < X < 38
17 < Y < 35
 1 < Z <  8

The effect can be observed by loading

http://www.embl-heidelberg.de/ExternalInfo/CG/Cyberview-x/start.html

and load the chromosome.off

I have then observed the examples provided and found that the object
ikarab.oogl that is correctly displayed, has the following minmax ranges

0 < x < 10
0 < y < 10
0 < z < 10

I just tried that out on my data, and the result can be observed if you load

smallchromosome.off

Perhaps you could make a note in your documentation and put a warning on the
WWW page about this workaround.

There still a problem that is bugging me a bit, that is the number of triangles
that is specified in the header must be equal to the number of vertices/3. That
makes no sense, is not shown anywhere in the doc, and is not shown in the
examples as well. Therefore I am investigating on it ...

The object shown in the smallchromosome.off is made from AVS using a WRITE_OOGL
module that I have written. As soon as I will have it "stable" than I will put
it on the WWW and let you know. The object has 52815 points and 29368 triangles
with shared vertices. What I do not understand is why I must put in the header
of the OFF file the magic number 17605 (that is #/3) ... nowhere is described
in the docs that triangles cannot share vertices ... ?!?

best regards

Luca Ida Giovanni TOLDO (Ph.D)
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
Computer Group