[ REQ 5390]: Hello

We currently have a software tool which was developed in house
which makes heavy use of planar and spherical geometry. I will not
burden you will all of details at this point but I am looking for a
fast algorithm to generate convex hulls on the surface of a sphere
(the earth in this case) from a set of cospherical points. We have
downloaded qhull, geomview, and a number of other files from your
site. I might now have what I need to implement the spherical convex
hull in our software.

Our particular application supports flight safety analysis. When a
launch of an R&D missile system is conducted, a determination must
be made of the risk to the population and the environment in the
surrounding area. Should the flight test go awry, the thrust of the
missile can be terminated, restricting the range to within safe
limits. The process of terminating a missile's thrust often produces
debris, big and small. Our application takes the geodetic
coordinates of impact points for each piece of debris for sometimes
hundreds of simulated flights to determine the discrete probability
density of  debris impacts. From this probability density we can
estimate the risk to virtually anything either on the ground or in
the air.

So what does this have to do with computational geometry? Well, one
of the pieces of information we keep track of is the hull of the
debris impact points. One of these discrete distributions can be the
result of tens of thousands of debris impact points. Currently one
of the most costly operations in our software is building these
hulls. Also, our current hull algorithm which treats latitude,
longitude coordinate pair as pseudo-cartesian coordinates will fail
for hulls which contain either one of the poles (north or south).
This second issue has not been a problem so far, but it would be
nice not to have such a limitation.

I you have any suggestions I would appreciate it. One warning
though, this is the tip of a geometric iceberg which will eventually
extend into three dimensions.

Wishing you and yours only the best,

Russell George
Range Safety Program Manager