Re: [Update REQ 5415]: Bug?

On Fri, 26 May 1995, Tim Rowley wrote:

> From: trowley
> Subject: Re: [ REQ 5415]: Bug?
> To: software@geom
> Date: Fri, 26 May 95 11:02:34 CDT
>
> > 	I'd like to hilight one 3D picked point(represented by a small
> > cube) with different color. I tried to use:
> > 	(merge-ap geom-id appearance)
> > 	where appearance has the new color.
> >
> > 	I used the appearance panel(of geomview) to check the color of the
> > 'geom-id' and found that the face color is changed. However, the new
> > color doesn't show up in the camera window. Why?
>
> The problem is that the object already has attributes linked to
> it and they are overriding the appearance you're trying to merge
> in.  You can make your new attributes override by using the "*"
> prefix to the appearance attribute, as in:
>
> (merge-ap g1 {appearance material {*diffuse 0 1 0}})
>
> assign: trowley
> state: closed
>
> --
> Tim Rowley  --  trowley at geom.umn.edu  --  "Do or do not, there is no try."

Mr. Rowley:

	Thanks a lot for your help.

	I tried that in command line input. It works great. But it still
doesn't work in the program, in which there is pipe between my program
and geomview.

	What is the meaning of the star in front of diffuse?

	Could it be the problem with how I define my geometry? I used
	 (geometry gid GEOMETRY)

where GEOMETRY has the color defined in it.

	Thanks again for your help.

	|		Guangxing George Wu			   |
        |	Department of Computer Science and Engineering	   |
	|	Office:		GWC 337    			   |
	|	Fax/modem/phone: ((555) 555-5555 (R)		   |
	|	Office phone:	 ((555) 555-5555 (O)		   |