Re: [Update REQ 5434]: Question on GEomview

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995 munzner at sfb288.math.tu-berlin.de wrote:

> Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 10:42:30 GMT
> From: Tamara Munzner <munzner at sfb288.math.tu-berlin.de>
> To: software@geom
> Subject: Re: [ REQ 5434]: Question on GEomview
>

> Ah, yes, there is not enough documentation for that command. Sorry!
>
> The PART-SPEC is the same as the "pick path", which is the "P" in the
> specification of pick command:
>
>  (pick COORDSYS GEOMID G V E F P VI EI FI)
>        [...]
>        P = path to picked primitive [0 or more]
>        [...]
>
> That still doesn't tell you enough information, though. Here's some
> new documentation (part of the new "write-comments" command in the
> unreleased geomview 1.5.1):
>
> 	The pick
>         path (returned in the "pick" command) is a list of
>         integer counters specifying a subpart of a hierarchical
>         OOGL object. Descent into a complex object (LIST or INST)
>         adds a new integer to the path. Traversal of simple objects
>         increments the counter at the current level.
>

> So it's a way of replacing a sub-part instead of an entire geometry
> hierarchy. Here's an example:
>
> (geometry foo {
>  INST geom {
>    INST geom {
>      LIST { < octa.off}
>           { < dodec.off}
>           { < cube.off}
>      }
>    }
>  }
> )
>
> (replace-geometry foo (0 0 2) { < square.quad})
>
> The cube is replaced by the square. Note that the counter starts at 0:
> the octa pick-path is (0 0 0), the dodec is (0 0 1), the cube is (0 0 2).
>
> Hope this helps,

Thank you very much.

It's very helpful and it is exactly what I want. If there is only one
INST geom then will the path be (0 2) for the cube.off and we can simply
replace it by:

(replace-geometry foo (0 2) {<square.quad})

Am I right?

Thanks again for your help.

	|		Guangxing George Wu			   |
        |	Department of Computer Science and Engineering	   |
	|	Office:		GWC 337    			   |
	|	Fax/modem/phone: ((555) 555-5555 (R)		   |
	|	Office phone:	 ((555) 555-5555 (O)		   |