Re: [Closed REQ 5460]: Documentation for the Geom, Window and other libraries

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Closed REQ 5460]: Documentation for the Geom, Window and other libraries
  • From: "Daeron Meyer" <daeron>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 95 10:57:11 CDT

> Date: Thu, 22 Jun 95 15:50:18 -0500
> From: Snehanshu Shah <shah at austin.kla.com>
> To: software@geom, s_shah at kla.com
> Subject: Documentation for the Geom, Window and other libraries

> ---------------------------------16344937294444193982131323655
>
> Hello,
>
> 	I have just begun using geomview and must say that it is really
> remarkable application.
>
> 	I have an application that I have written using HOOPS and would like
> to replace HOOPS with OOGL.  For this I would like to draw into an X11 Window
> that I create and manage. The user interface for my application is rather
> complex and has been built using Tcl/Tk.  Is there any documentation or
> examples on how to go about binding an X11 window to MG and then drawing into
> it using OOGL ?
>
> 	I have tried using mgctxset to pass an X window to MG but this doesn't
> seem to work.  I have attached the relevant code segment.
>
> 	Any help from your part would be appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Snehanshu Shah
>
> s_shah at kla.com

Hi there,

You were on the right track, but you needed an mgctxcreate() call
instead. There is not a lot of documention about mg in general, and
specifically not a lot of information on how to make mg render into
your own precreated X window. This situation is made worse by the fact
that the way you initialize a window and pass it to mg will change by
the next release (hopefully making it easier). For now, you can learn
how it's done by either looking at the Geomview interface source
($GEOMROOT/src/bin/geomview/x11/gvui.c, gvcamui.c) or if you want a
simpler example, check out $GEOMROOT/src/bin/clipboard/* ... this is
a simple external module clipboard program which lets you "cut &
paste" objects from Geomview. It also just happens to show you what
object is in the clipboard by rendering that object into its very
own X window controlled by an mg context.

Hope this helps you,

Daeron Meyer
daeron at geom.umn.edu