Re: [Update REQ 5494]: [Q] W3Kit installation

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Update REQ 5494]: [Q] W3Kit installation
  • From: "Paul Burchard" <burchard at geom>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 95 15:22:32 -0600

> I just installed your W3Kit on my sun using gcc-2.5.8.
>
> cyberview has no problem
> dotty, `make` is ok
> but, when I do `make intall`
> An error occur, memory fault.

If you are running SunOS 4.x (as opposed to Solaris 2.x), then your
X server does not yet have the Display PostScript extensions, which
dotty (via the W3PostScript class) uses.

Actually, you should still be able to run dotty by changing the
last line of the "app" script to something like (before
installation):

	exec $(W3APPBINDIR)/$(W3APPNAME) -display glub:0.0

where "glub" is a machine on your network with the DPS extensions
(e.g. Irix, Ultrix, AIX, NeXTSTEP, Solaris, ...) and with xhost set
appropriately.

Note that in W3Kit, there are two options for 2D graphics, either
Display PostScript (W3PostScript class), or raw X11.  W3Kit version
3.0 has better support for the X11 graphics.  (3D graphics uses X11
in W3Kit 2.x, but in W3Kit 3.0 it is all done internally.)  Let me
know if you need version 3.0, it is basically ready, but not yet
completely nicely "packaged" for release.