Re: [Update REQ 5569]: mini-geomview package

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Update REQ 5569]: mini-geomview package
  • From: "Mark Phillips" <mbp>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 17:03:42 -0500

> I have encountered people who (at least for now) are interested in installing
> geomview primarily to use it with evolver.  Sometimes they are distressed
> at the size (29M) of the geomview installation.  Would it be possible
> to tar up a "mini-geomview" which would have essentially just gvx,
> the shell script, and maybe a .geomview file; whatever is really the
> bare minimum to run the program?

To all techstaff:

  I think this is a good idea.  Would someone like to volunteer to
  create stripped-down versions of the Geomview distribution files?
  It isn't a very big project but is slightly nontrivial because we
  can't just distribute the "gvx" binary and the "geomview" shell
  script, as John suggests.  The package would have to come with some
  sort of instructions for installing it (and these have to be
  different from the instructions that go with the full distribution,
  because those instructions mention all sorts of things that would
  not be included in the skinny distribution.)

  Also, there is the issue that there isn't just one Geomview
  distribution, but rather 6, for different machine types, so
  we'd need to create skinny versions of each of these.

  I have an idea of what is involved and will explain it to the
  first person who offers; I estimate it would take an hour or
  two for a person who is adept at using tar.

--Mark