Re: [Closed REQ 5580]: installing geomview

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Closed REQ 5580]: installing geomview
  • From: "Stuart Levy" <slevy>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 1995 01:48:33 -0500

By chance, our new Indigo with Impact graphics just arrived today, so I had
a chance to trace down this bug somewhat.  (I'm not at the Center this month,
but at the Fields Institute in Toronto.)

It appears SGI's compatibility-mode code isn't working very well;
in particular, GL programs compiled under Irix 4 are either
non-functional (as you found, using geomview compiled with FORMS)
or very slow (one screen update every 200 milliseconds, independent
of objects being displayed, when I compile geomview with Daeron's X/Motif
interface).  But, anything compiled under Irix 5 seems to run properly,
though the Forms interface appears in very strange colors.

So I've put up two copies of the geomview executable compiled under Irix 5.3 --
one with Motif, one with Forms interface -- in
	priv/slevy/gvx-irix5-motif.Z and priv/slevy/gvx-irix5-forms.Z.
It's just a compressed executable, not a tar file.  Pick one, decompress it
and install into whatever/Geomview/bin/sgi/gvx.