[ REQ 6976]: ABOUT compiling geomview-.6.1p9.src.tar.gz with Linux GLIBC 2.1

OBJECT: package geomview-.6.1p9.src.tar.gz
        MY HAND CORRECTIONS TO MAKEFILES (AND SOME SOURCE FILES) IN ORDER TO
        COMPILE THE PACKAGE USING Linux-elf (kernel 2.2.9mdk) WITH
        GLIBC 2.1 LIBRARIES (libc-2.1.1.so, libm-2.1.1.so in detail)

My compiler is gcc (version pgcc-2.91.66).
I used mesa and lesstifg libraries.

1) I needed to delete the file src/lib/oogl/wa/wa.lex.c from the unpacked
   source files because my compiler signaled that wafsain and wafsaout could
   not be declared and initialized at the same time. I noticed that there is
   no problem deleting this file since it is regularly created by lex (flex)

2) In the file gvmain.c , I needed to replace __setfpucw(_FPU_IEEE) with
   _FPU_SETCW(hctrlword)    (where hctrlword is a variable of type
   fpu_control_t initialized to _FPU_IEEE) since this function is no longer
   provided by libm.so.6 (it is provided for example by libm-2.0.7).

3) In the file oogl2vrml.c I needed to add the instruction f=stdout at the
   beginning of main function since my compiler refuses to declare FILE *f
   and initialize f=stdout at the same time.

4) Here is the file mk.linux as mofified in order to compile the package.

#
# Makefile that sets machine-specific variables and rules
# for Linux.
#
#
# A machine-specific makefile is included by all other makefiles.
#

#CPU = linux
MACHTYPE = linux
RANLIB = :
# Or maybe, CC = egcs -pipe.
CC = gcc -pipe
CPLUSPLUS = g++ -pipe
INSTALL = ${GEOM}/tools/install.bsd
AR = /usr/bin/ar
ARRANFLAGS = s
MKDEPFLAGS =

# Add locations of Motif (Xm/*.h) & other include files to the path, e.g.
SYSCOPTS = -I/usr/include/X11 -I/usr/X11R6/include

SYSXLIBDIR = /usr/X11R6/lib

SYSMOTIFLIBS = -L${SYSXLIBDIR} -lXm
SYSXLIBS = -L${SYSXLIBDIR} -lXt -lXmu -lXext -lICE -lX11 -ldl

# If you have the FORMS library, uncomment these lines and edit:
#  set FORMSLIBS to the list of all libs needed
#  and FORMSINC to the relevant -I options:
# FORMSLIBS = -L/usr/local/lib -lforms -L${SYSXLIBDIR} -lX11
# FORMSINC = -I/u/share/include/XForms

# If you have Tcl/Tk libraries (tk 4.0 or later), uncomment and edit:
# indicate cc options to find tk-related libraries and include-files.
TKLIBS = -ltk -ltcl -L${SYSXLIBDIR} -lX11 -ldl
TKINC = -I/usr

# Uncomment one of the SYSLIBS definitions according to your version of Linux:

# Include this for Linux 1.0, where some routines
# (used in src/lib/oogl/util/glibglue.C) were moved into libiostream.a:

# SYSLIBS = -liostream

# Include this for Linux with gcc >= 2.7.0, where those same routines
# have moved again into libstdc++.a -- thanks to Tim Rowley:

# OTHERLIBOPTS = -L/usr3/linuxnew/usr/lib/old
SYSLIBS = ${OTHERLIBOPTS} -lstdc++

# MGTYPE = -DMGX11
# MGLIBS =

# or, for OpenGL using Mesa libraries, maybe:
MESA = /usr
MGTYPE = -DMGOPENGL
MGLIBS = -lMesaGL -lMesaGLU
MGINC  = -I${MESA}/include

# If the above stuff sets MGTYPE = -DMGOPENGL, and MGINC = whatever's needed
# for Open GL compilation, then you can also use MGMESAOPTS
# below to generate additional "gvx" executables linked with alternate
# Open GL libraries.  (It's important to set MGTYPE and MGINC since those
# are used when compiling the src/lib/mg/opengl code;
# if MGTYPE isn't -DMGOPENGL, then we assume that no OpenGL libs are available,
# and mg/opengl isn't even compiled.)

# If you define MGMESAOPTS, geomview will produce an additional binary: besides
# "gvx" based on the MGTYPE/MGLIBS/MGINC set above, it'll also
# create a "gvx.MESA".
# Note we don't say -DAVOID_X11R6 here; that's only an Irix 5.2 kludge.
# MGMESAOPTS =	MGTYPE="-DMGOPENGL" \
#		MGLIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lMesaGL -lMesaGLU" \
#		MGINC="-I/u/src/grap/Mesa-2.3/include"

# If you took the advice above and set the default MGTYPE to -DMGOPENGL,
# you can still do the following.  Define MGX11OPTS to get a separate
# gvx.X11 geomview executable which uses our own software renderer.
# It's typically faster than the Mesa renderer, but less capable.
# MGX11OPTS =	MGTYPE="-DMGX11" \
#		MGLIBS= \
#		MGINC=

Hoping these information may be useful for you,

Best Regards

Damiano Fasoli
VERONA
ITALY