[ REQ 6978]: Normalisation

Hello,

I have used geomview for quite some time now, mainly for visualisation and simualtion
and I am in general very satisfied with it's ease of use, quality of rendering and graphics
facilities.

Currently, I'm using it for (virtual) camera calibration. I however can't figure out
exactly how the NORMALIZATION bit in the APPEARANCE panel works.

This isn't explained in the manual or in the FAQ's.

I think I figured the difference between 'None' (default) and 'Individual' out,
but what does 'Sequence' and 'Keep' mean. Also, in `Individual' mode, is the camera
origin coinciding with the origin of the object ?

The problem I'm trying to tackle is the alignment of a virtual (geomview) camera with
a real camera for computer assisted surgery. They are pointing at a virtual
(CT reconstructed surface of a patient) and the real patient, respectively.
Although I have the exact coordinate transformation, as obtained from a well-established
camera calibration algorithm (Tsai), it doesn't work when I apply it in Geomview
(using the Transformer module).

I would appreciate if you could give me some hints regarding these problems.

Many thanks,

Sincerely yours,

Rudy Lapeer.

Rudy J. Lapeer, Ph.D.
Senior Research Fellow
Dept. of Medical Physics - UCL
Based at ILO (Institute of Laryngology and Otology)
330-332 Gray's Inn Road
London WC1X 8EE
Mobile: 07974/99.55.83
Tel. +44/(0)171.915.1479 OR +44/(0)171.915.1673
e-mail rjal at james.ilo.ucl.ac.uk OR rjal at eng.cam.ac.uk