installing Geometry Center software

In trying to make some of the files I've downloaded from geom.umn.edu,
I encountered error messages of the following sorts. Should I edit
the Makefile to change path names?
		Thanks,
			Bill Goldman

/usr/people/wmg/CirclePack>>make
        /bin/rm -f circlepack.tar.Z
        gnutar cvfZ circlepack.tar.Z Circle3D.m          CirclePack.m    DrawPacking.m   Hyperbolic.m    Minkowski.m             Normalize.m             Triangulation.m         cpexamples.m demo.ma circlepack.1       triangulation.1         cpintro.1 READ
Couldn't load Shell: No such file or directory

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.