Re: .geomview suggestion

  • To: mbp, software
  • Subject: Re: .geomview suggestion
  • From: slevy
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 93 19:43:19 CST

    (if (file-readable ./.geomview) ... )

One potential problem: you'd want to somehow avoid infinite recursion in case
"." == "~".  (I do something like the above in my ~/.dbxinit, and it means I
can't run dbx from my home directory!)

Would something like the following do?  Suppose we say we normally always read
all of
   $GEOMDATA/.geomview, ./.geomview, ~/.geomview
in that order?  As a refinement, there might be some way for a .geomview file
to prevent further initialization (setting a noinit flag, say, which might
also be settable from the command line)?  So the code might look like...

    if(!noinit)
	comm_object("$GEOMDATA/.geomview", &CommOps, NULL,NULL, COMM_NOW);
    if(!noinit)
	comm_object("./.geomview", &CommOps, NULL, NULL, COMM_NOW);
    if(!noinit && distinct(".", getenv("HOME")))
	comm_object("$HOME/.geomview", &CommOps, NULL,NULL, COMM_NOW);

[There's no distinct() routine at the moment, but it's simple to do.]

This would allow a ./.geomview file more control.  By default, the
~/.geomview file is executed after it is, but it could say:
    (progn
	(read command <$HOME/.geomview)
	... bulk of .geomview ...
    )

to get ~/.geomview executed first, or

    (progn
	... bulk of .geomview ...
	(do-init no)		# Or whatever... better name?
    )

to prevent ~/.geomview from being executed at all.