geomview

Yes, you should be able to use geomview for this. Geomview reads OOGL
format data files: one of the file types is a rectangular mesh.  If
your x-y grid is irregular, you could use the full MESH format, which
expects vertices with x, y, and z components.  But it sounds you have
data well suited for the ZMESH format, which expects the keyword
"ZMESH", the x and y dimensions of the mesh, and then x*y vertices
where each vertex is specified by just the z component. Here is a
(very) simple ZMESH example data file with 9 vertices:

ZMESH
3 3
0 1 0
0 1 0
0 1 0

Do you already have geomview installed? I know the Robotics Group at
Oxford does. If so, type "man 5 oogl" for the file format reference
guide.  If not, you can get it via anonymous ftp from geom.umn.edu.
(We just packed up the latest version of all of the binaries, or you
can get the older source code release.)

Tamara Munzner          ((555) 555-5555
munzner at geom.umn.edu    The Geometry Center