3D imaging

There are several commercial software packages which allow volume
visualization, but I'm not sure about one that will work under vanilla
X windows.  The ones that I know of are AVS and IRIS Explorer; both of
these make use of special hardware to do graphics.  AVS is available
on a wide range of platforms, possibly including alliant computers.
IRIS Explorer runs only on SGI IRISes.

I think there is an X windows version of apE, but I'm not sure
if apE supports the sort of thing you want to do.

You might try contacting Chuck Goodrich at the University of Maryland
(College Park); I think he's in the CS department.  He runs a
visualization lab which is mostly centered around AVS but I think he
is very knowlegable about visualization software in general.

We here at the Geometry Center have our own mathematically oriented
visualization software that we have written; it runs on SGI IRIS
workstations (and a version for NeXTs is just around the corner).
It isn't very suitable for volumne visualization.

Hope this helps,

Mark Phillips
Geometry Center