Re: camera translate in spherical virtual mode (geomview)

  • To: njt, software
  • Subject: Re: camera translate in spherical virtual mode (geomview)
  • From: slevy
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 93 15:40:41 -0500

We talked about it.  Nathaniel objects to the "feature" where non-Euclidean
translations, with center == "target", get munged to translate through the
universe instead.  (I'd added this to prevent the strange rotations you
get when the axis of translation moves with the object, in hyperbolic space.)

An ideal solution would involve somehow using a different center during
(at least some) translations: freezing the center when the motion is
defined, or letting you "pick" a center interactively (which again would
then not move with the object), or some such thing.  I'm offering to disable
the translation hack for spherical space for now, leaving it only for
hyperbolic space, until it becomes clearer how to implement a real solution.

   Stuart