Re: NeXT file extension .list

> Either the Geometry Center or RightBrain (or both) has
> not registered the NeXT file extension ".list".
>

> In RightBrain's program PasteUp, I asked for a resource
> list and it created a file with the file extension ".list"
> and this then appeared as a list file in the program
> Geomview from the Geometry Center as this is a file
> extension that Geomview claims.

We have not registered any file extensions at this point - I will do
so today. Chances are that RightBrain has already registered this
extension.

As far as changing Geomview, I'm afraid all we can do is offer a
sperate version of Geomview which claims only those file extensions
which are eventually OK'd by NeXT. This will keep Geomview from
automatically loading those files with conflicting extensions when
double clicked from the Workspace or opened from a shell. Any file,
regardless of extension, can be opened from Geomview's open panel, so
those files with conflicting extensions can still be read by
Geomview. This is unfortunate, but we cannot change file extensions
which have been used here for years without breaking potentially many
things.

So, I will register those extensions I can, and offer a version which
claims only those extensions.

As for what can be done now, you can select a file with the .list
extension, and change the default app for this extension via the
Tools subpanel of the Workspace Inspector. This only works for the
current user, I think, so if you want a global fix, let me know and
I'll get a 'fixed' version to you.

-Scott Wisdom
wisdom at geom.umn.edu