Re: NeXT screensaver (fwd)

  • To: scott at geom (scott)
  • Subject: Re: NeXT screensaver (fwd)
  • From: wisdom
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 93 1:13:50 CDT

>   I told him about the hooks in "LoginWindow".  I was going to tell
> him about "BackSpace", but I see that the permissions have been
> changed to make it inaccessible on the archive at "sonata".  I
> undoubtably wasn't paying attention when I should have, but can
> someone give me a hint as to what the current situation is?  I
> was also curious whether BackSpace can be used as a "logged out"
> screen saver.
> 				Scott

BackSpace was stepping on the toes of 3rd party screensaver advocates.
Since BackSpace was written by a NeXT employee, NeXT put it's foot down
and shut off access to BackSpace. There was such an uproar, however, that
NeXT lifted there foot and put it in there mouth. BackSpace is now a
developer Example in 3.x (located at /NextDeveloper/Example/Appkit/Backspace on
any 3.x system). The permissions on sonata are left over from NeXTs foot
stomping tantrum.  As far as I know, BackSpace cannot be run from the login
panel.

-Scott W

PS. there's also a /NextDeveloper/Examples/Appkit/BackspaceViews directory
for the dynamically loadable BackSpace views.