[roseman at dimension4.math.uiowa.edu: Geomview]

  • To: software, am at geom
  • Subject: [roseman at dimension4.math.uiowa.edu: Geomview]
  • From: mbp
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 93 12:13:03 -0600

FYI
--Mark

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 93 09:30:32 -0600
From: Dennis Roseman <roseman at dimension4.math.uiowa.edu>
To: register at geom
Subject: Geomview

I don't have time at the moment to give an extensive report about my
use of geomview.  (I've got to wrap up the semester and I have a lot
of research going as well.)

I do have a lot to say on the subject.  Basically, using geomview one
can graphically demonstrate interesting and useful information about
knotted surfaces in four-dimensional space.  Just a few days ago I
gave a talk (the joint AMS SMM meeting in Merida, Mexico) on the
topic "The mathematical utility of visualizing surfaces in four
dimensions".  I could well have titled it "The mathematical utility
of geomview in visualizing surfaces in four dimensions"

 geomview is a central tool in what I do and I use it (at least)
several times each day.

I have made two videos entirely using geomview.  The latest one, done
this summer is 19 minutes long, uses geomview in many different ways
(real time interactively, using scripts, using animations, rendering
stills and using as single frames, etc) using many of the modules
(4dview, warp, animator).

I am doing calculations involving (knotted) surfaces in
four-dimensional space.  I usually use it on NextStep.  But I also
use it on an SGI machine that I have access to (or the machines at
the Center when I'm there.)

(I am also planning on using geomview next semester for a calculus
class I will be teaching.)