Lines closer

I just got my sysadmin to install the new version of geomview and it
looks really great.  The only bad thing that I've noticed is that
"Lines closer" seems to have the opposite of the desired effect.  I
loaded square.quad and axes.list and the lines for the x and y axes
were buried in the square.  I looked at the cameras panel and lines
closer was set to 3.  I changed it to zero and the axes emerged from
the square.  I set it to 3 and they got buried again.  Then I set it
to -3 and they reappeared.  Anyone know what's going on?
Thanks!
-Celeste
PS I was running on a crimson reality engine version 4.something of
irix.
PPS  Sorry to nitpick -- it really does look great!