X version of geomview

  • To: najera at rex.cs.tulane.edu
  • Subject: X version of geomview
  • From: munzner
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 94 14:47:49 -0600

   From: Jose Najera <najera at rex.cs.tulane.edu>
   Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1993 10:42:03 -0600 (CST)

   Hello,

   I've been using geomview for a while and find it a very valuable tool for
   scientific visualization. I'm applying it to the robotics field. I have a
   lot of OOGL data files which I would like to visualize in a sun
   sparcstation (even in wireframe mode). The objects I'm using are very
   simple geomtric primitives (general polyhedra).  Some time ago I heard that
   there was a version of geomview for X11 in mind. I wonder if you already
   have something running.

   I wrote a very simple program with a gl emulator which allows me to
   display the objects. However, because the station doesn't have zbuffering
   when I write a set of objects they appear in the order of the pipeline. I
   know that I need to write some tools for hidden surface elimination but
   before I spend time doing that, I'd like to know if you have something that
   would help me.

   Thanks in advance for any advise that you could give me,

   --jose najera

   najera at cs.tulane.edu

What kind of machine do you have?  The beta version of geomview for
X11 on Suns is now available in our ftp directory: get
pub/software/geomview/geomview-sun.x11-beta.tar.Z from geom.umn.edu.

We also have a binary version for HPs. If you have another kind of
machine, you can request the source and try to compile it yourself.
Here's the relevant section of the the README-beta file:
The source code for X11 Geomview is known to compile and execute on the
following platforms:

  SGI (IRIX 4.0.5)
  Sun 4 (SunOS 4.1.2 with X11R4 and Motif 1.1).
  HP/UX 7.x, 8.x, 9.x.

It is also likely that it will compile on other systems such as:

  DECstation 5000-200 (Ultrix).
  DEC Alpha (OSF/1).
  Dell SVR4
  Sun Solaris 2.x