Re: X11 Geomview on a DEC Alpha

Hi.  We compiled it (a slightly earlier version) on a borrowed account on
a DEC Alpha.  We didn't compile with optimization, though; it's possible
that their optimizer has a hard time with some construct there.
The "core dumped" message seems to be saying that the DEC C compiler aborted.
It's hard to guess what's actually wrong, short of slicing up the file
and compiling each piece.  I'll try that when I get a chance.

As a workaround, you might try changing ``COPTS = -O'' to ``COPTS = -g'' in
../Geomview/makefiles/Makedefs.global and seeing whether the compile finishes.

Alternatively you could try compiling just the errant file with:
   cd .../Geomview/src/bin/geomview/x11/O.sun4
   make COPTS=-g comm.o
and, if that works, compile normally thereafter.  Let us know how it goes.

  - Stuart