geomview question

  • To: wanderst at nickel.ucs.indiana.edu
  • Subject: geomview question
  • From: mbp
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 94 12:38:21 -0500

> I would like to be able to select just the shirt or just the shoes
> and change their color.  Now, reading the Geomview manual, I think I want
> to make the shoes, the shirt, etc. all different goems and somehow put them
> together in a LIST file.  Does this seem like the best way to do this to you?

In order to allow independent control of the color of objects,
Geomview has to see the objects as separate geoms.  So you're correct
about having to break them up.  Putting them in a LIST file, however,
would turn them back into a single geom, so you don't want to do that.

At least not while editing the colors.  Once you've got the colors you
want, however, you could put each object, along with its color, into a
single LIST file representing the whole person, which would give you a
convenient way to manipulate the person as a unit.  One way you can do
this merging semi-automatically would be to use the "Save" panel to to
save "Geometry only" for the entire "World". This will write a LIST
file containing every object you currently have loaded in geomview,
along with its appearance and position information.

If you later want to manipulate (either the position or the color) of
the individual parts, you would need to break the file up into
separate geoms again.  There is no way to do this breaking-up
automatically; you have to just edit the file by hand.

Hope this helps,

--Mark