Re: Questions about Geomview

> 1) Does Geomview runs only on platforms as SGI, NeXT or are there other ones?

There's also a generic X/Motif version, currently in beta-release form.
It's been compiled for Suns, RS/6000's, HP's under HP-UX, Linux, and
probably others.  With luck a better version should be out by the end of the
summer.

> 2) Does Geomview use hardware-support e.g. for Rendering?

On the SGI and Next versions, yes.  On the X version, no, all rendering is in
software (it just uses 2-D polygon graphics, doesn't depend on e.g. PEX).

> 3) Is it possible to make a video?

Yes, in a couple of ways.  We make live videos directly from the screen;
geomview includes a command to switch the monitor mode between normal and
television scan rates.  Also, geomview can be programmed to take image-file
snapshots of its graphics windows, so one could assemble a single-frame
animation using geomview scripts.

> 4) Do you know in which areas Geomview take place of using?

Lots.  We've seen it used in applications from computational geometry,
to robotics, to chemistry and molecular biology, and even occasionally in
mathematics, which was the community we intended it for!