Re: BUG report: weboogl unclean exit

  • To: Ed Chi <chi at geom>
  • Subject: Re: BUG report: weboogl unclean exit
  • From: burchard
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 94 14:21:56 -0500

Ed Chi writes:
> This weboogl not exiting cleanly is becoming a real
> problem.  I was just  told that a perl process had been
> running since July 6 on plucker sucking  up all the CPU time.

As Stuart discovered, this is a portability bug in Geomview.  On
non-NeXT BSD platforms like SunOS 4.x, Geomview does not kill off
external modules properly, due to the differences between BSD and
SysV conventions for setpgrp().

(We are working around this for now by changing to-weboogl to "-run
exec" the weboogl.  Any user directions for running weboogl first
should take this into account.)

PB