[ REQ 5008]: Re: build problems on hp9000/7xx

Last Friday I sent a message regarding problems with building Geomview
on an hp9000/7xx. This is no longer a problem as I have successfuly
built and run geomview.

My first attempts were on a machine running HP-UX 9.0.1. Using another
machine, running HP-UX 9.0.3, I had fewer problems. I created a new
file in the makefiles directory call mk.hp9k:

#
# Makefile that sets machine-specific variables and rules
# for the HP PA-RISC
#
#
# A machine-specific makefile is included by all other makefiles.
#

CPU = hp9k
MACHTYPE = x11
RANLIB = :
CC = cc
INSTALL = ${GEOM}/tools/install.bsd
AR = /bin/ar
MKDEPFLAGS = -MM
SYSCOPTS = -Aa -D_HPUX_SOURCE -Dhpux -Wp,-H16000 -Dalloca=alloca -I/usr/include/X11R5 -I/usr/include/Motif1.2
SYSXLIBS = -L/usr/lib/X11R5 -L/usr/lib/Motif1.2 -lXm -lXt -lXext -lX11

Adding -Wp,-H16000 to SYSCOPTS resolved the problem in gvtoolui.c. This
switch sends a message to cpp to use a larger buffer for macro expansion.

I had to change a #include in two files. One file was gvload.c but I don't
recall what the other file was. The change was

2c2
< #include <Xm/DialogS.h>
---
> #include <X11/Xm/DialogS.h>

where the first line above is the correct version. The other file had
the same problem.

I used the -Dhpux in conjunction with porting.c as mentioned in my
pair so that it would be compiled.

There was one other problem associated with make install. "gvx" was
not placed where the geomview shell script was expecting to see it.
I simply moved gvx but I haven't bothered to search for the reason
why it was not where expected.

Perhaps the OS version (9.0.3 vs 9.0.1) was significant in regard to
X11R5 and Motif1.2 libraries. Comparing file sizes and dates between
these two OS versions showed differences.

I hope you can read the file I included above (mk.hp9k). Since I
am writing this note in /usr/ucb/mail, I can not see whether or not
it was read correctly.

Since this is my first experience with geomview, I think I have a lot
to learn... it should be fun!

Thanks,

Steve Talent (talent at chdasic.sps.mot.com)