[Update REQ 5034]: XWindows; Co-exist

Dennis,
   I'd recommend using the TCL/TK toolkit for writing X windows programs.
It's a free thing that you can get from ftp.cs.berkeley.edu.  It comes
with extensive documentation; there is also a published book on it:

    @book{Ousterhout,
      title		= "TCL \& the TK Toolkit",
      author	= "John K. Ousterhout",
      year		= "1994",
      publisher	= "Addison-Wesley"
    }

The ftp distribution comes with a PostScript copy of a preprint of
this book.  In theory you won't need any further X windows
documentation, because TCL/TK insulates you from working directly with
X, but in practice it would probably be good to have the "XLib
Programming Manual" and "XLib Reference Manual" by O'Reilly &
Associates on hand.

If you ultimately want an X application, it's probably best to just
write it in X first.  The interface work you do on the NeXT won't
carry over directly to the X version anyway.

I don't know about the details of Co-exist; I'll let someone else
respond to your questions about that.

--Mark