Re: [Closed REQ 5089]: x11 version of Geomview

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Closed REQ 5089]: x11 version of Geomview
  • From: "Daeron Meyer" <daeron>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 94 11:56:05 CDT

> From: Jason Dawes <dawes at dstc.qut.edu.au>
> Subject: x11 version of Geomview
> To: software@geom
> Date: Tue, 11 Oct 1994 14:12:13 +1000 (EST)
>
> Hi, just reporting a bug, I don't know if this is the
> correct place to be sending mail for this, but I'm going to anyway.
>
> I am using the X11 version of Geomview on a Dec Alpha.
>
> I ran through the www tutorial, and geomview got a floating point
> exception just after loading the tent.mesh file.
>
> --
> Jason Dawes			       | Internet: dawes at dstc.qut.edu.au
> Research Associate		       | Phone: +61-7-864-5121
> Co-operative Research Centre for       | FAX:   +61-7-864-1282
> Distributed Systems Technology.	       | URL: http://www.dstc.edu.au/intro.html

Yes, we are aware of the problem with floating point exceptions. Geomview
was originally developed on SGIs and since they didn't care much whether
you divide by zero or not, code to prevent such things got a little bit
sloppy in places. Now that we are porting to other platforms though, we have
started to clean up some of these problems. This brings me to my next
subject. We have been working on a newer release of Geomview (version 1.5)
and are just about ready to make it available to the public. We have also
been giving beta testers earlier access to it to work out any bugs we
may have missed. Since you were just added to the xgeomview-beta mailing
list, you didn't receive the earlier message sent about it, so I will sent
that to you. Version 1.5 has much better graphics and should hopefully fix
the bug you mentioned as well.

Best Regards,

Daeron Meyer
daeron at geom.umn.edu