Re: [Update REQ 5144]: Compiling on RS6000 25T problems

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Update REQ 5144]: Compiling on RS6000 25T problems
  • From: "Tim Rowley" <trowley>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 94 8:06:51 CST

> I am trying to compile your geomview package on my IBM RS6000 under
> AIX 3.2.5. all goes well until the linking when the linker fails to find
> 0706-317 ERROR: Unresolved or undefined symbols detected:
>                  Symbols in error (followed by references) are
>                  dumped to the load map.
>                  The -bloadmap:<filename> option will create a load map.
> .XShmPutImage
> .XShmDetach
> .XShmAttach
> .XShmCreateImage
> .XShmQueryExtension
> The error code from the last failed command is 8.
>
> could you give me a pointer to the possible cause of the problem?

These symbols are the functions for the MIT shared memory
extension to the X server.  They allow for fast transfer of
images between the client program and the X server.

Normally these functions are defined in libXext.a, referenced by
the "-lXext" in the link for geomview.  Do you have such a
library?  If the library exists but isn't in a standard
directory, then add a "-L/the/lib/directory" before the -lXext in
$GEOMROOT/src/bin/geomview/x11/O.x11/Makefile target "gvx"

--
Tim Rowley  --  trowley at geom.umn.edu  --  "Do or do not, there is no try."