Re: [Update REQ 5190]: an idea for a project

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Update REQ 5190]: an idea for a project
  • From: "Daeron Meyer" <daeron>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 2:38:46 CST

> Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 22:40:35 -0600 (CST)
> From: Michael Stokes <stokes at ERC.MsState.Edu>
> Subject: an idea for a project
> To: software@geom
>
> Greetings from the MSU ERC..
>
> Have you guys considered creating an OpenGL compatible library(for X)
> using OOGL as the basis.  This would make you all heroes ;)
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

  Yes, we have tossed around the idea of working on a FreeGL/OpenGL clone
(or at least I have) but I'm not sure if it's realistic to expect anything.
Our staff is very small compared to the number of projects we are working
on already so it is difficult to justify or find a place to fit in yet
another project, especially one of that magnitude. There are also other
considerations, for instance whether/how it would fit in with our mission
and whether the NSF considers such a project worth funding.

  We are open to suggestions though, especially in the form of proposals.
If you are serious about drumming up support for this, I'd recommend that
you read the following documents first:

http://www.geom.umn.edu/docs/admin/mission.html

Also, you may want to post to Usenet to see if anyone else would be
interested in taking on this project. There are a lot of other
organizations and people on the net that might be interested in working
on a project with such vast potential. Viva la OpenGL!

Thank you for your interest,

Daeron Meyer
daeron at geom.umn.edu