Re: [Update REQ 5191]: 2+ cameras and producing a postscript file

Hi Daeron,

1)
>   First of all, which version of Geomview were you using? To find out
>what version you have, select Credits from the Inspect Panel. The version
>number should be at the top of the window that pops up. The most recent
>version that we are distributing is 1.5.

Sorry I should have mentioned this in the original posting.
It is Geomview for X, 1.5.

2)
>> 1)After opening a second camera on an object, the operaions
>> to rotate, translate, fly or orbit all translated the object.
>> Scaling didn't do anything but zoom worked normally.
>>
>> Deleting the second window still left the problem in the original
>
>I have tried to duplicate this behavior but was not successful. Could
>you please provide a more specific list of actions. i.e. did you create
>the camera by selecting "New Camera" from the pull down menu or by using
>the "v+" key shortcut? Were you trying to switch modes by clicking on
>the tool bar or by typing key shortcuts into the camera windows (t=translate,
>r=rotate, etc...)?

I have gone back over this carefully.
It now think that the problem is a lack of understanding on my part.
I need to think about it a bit more, if I still have a problem then
I will get back to you.
So if I don't get back to you, simply forget about my query.

3)
>> After getting the object on the screen and rotating it,
>> I want to produce a postscript file of it.
>> But the PS Snapshot module produced the following error.
>
>Again, it would have been helpful to know what release of Geomview you
>were using. This bug may already have been fixed. Could you perhaps
>email me a copy of the file you were trying to postscriptify?

On the first attempt to reproduce this error, PS Snapshot failed again with
the same error. But on subsequent attempts it worked.
I can't explain why this happened.

In any case Stuart Levy <slevy at edu.umn.geom> suggested ...

>combine the LIST members into one giant OFF object, with
>   anytooff your-file.off > composite-file.off
>and then reading the composite-file.off into geomview rather than
>your original file.  The "can't seek back" bug will probably be fixed in
>a future release of Geomview, but this should work in the mean time.

The `anytooff' program works well. PS Snapshot is several times faster when
PSSnapshot is used with the sort of file produced by anytooff
and the "can't seek back" bug didn't appear.

I am happy with this solution (using anytooff),
so I haven't bothered to include the
.OFF file as you requested but if you still want
to see it then let me know.

Regards,

John.

--
John Gavin,                 URL (WWW Mosaic): http://www.bath.ac.uk/~mapjbg/
School of Mathematics,      E-mail:           J.B.Gavin at uk.ac.bath.maths
University of Bath,         Voice:            +44(225)826364
Bath, BA2 7AY, U.K.         Fax:              +44(225)826492