Re: [Closed REQ 5198]: printout from geomview

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Closed REQ 5198]: printout from geomview
  • From: "Tamara Munzner" <munzner>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 95 18:24:47 -0600

>How can I get the printout (or PostScript file) from Geomview? It seems
>that there is no mention for it in the User's Guide. Thanks.

I noticed from your registration that you're running on an SGI.

On the SGI, to create an image exactly like the one displayed, select
the camera you want, then click on "Save" on the main panel. In the
panel that appears, select the "SGI Snapshot" save option, enter the
filename, and click "Ok". The image is stored in SGI image format.

There is another method of creating an image that works on all
platforms, the "PS Snapshot" external module. "PS Snapshot" saves the
entire scene in PostScript format. Click on "PS Snapshot" in the
modules list to start it. PS Snapshot will draw the currently selected
object from the viewpoint of the current camera. Select the object you
want to capture (or select "World" for the whole scene), pick the
options you want on the Snapshot panel, then click on "Save postscript
snapshot". Enter the filename and select "Ok". This will give you a
postscript image scaled to fill a 8.5x11 inch page ready to be printed
or imported to other programs. This method has advantages and
disadvantages. The advantage is that the result is resolution
independent -- you can print it on a high resolution printer and not
see any jagged edges. The disadvantages are that PS Snapshot can't
perform smooth shading, intersecting objects will be drawn
incorrectly, and some ill-conditioned scenes will not be drawn
correctly.

If you have Photorealistic Renderman (a commercial product of Pixar),
you can create high quality images with transparency and more accurate
lighting. To do this, bring up the Save panel and select "RMan
[->tiff]" from the save options. Enter a filename and click "Ok".
Bring up a shell window and change directory to where you saved the
file. Type "render filename" (where "filename" is the name you saved
as). When this finishes, you will have an high quality image in
"filename.tiff". To create a higher resolution image (to reduce jagged
edges), edit the file you saved. There will be line about fifteen
lines that begins with "Format", ie. "Format 450 450 1". The first two
numbers are the resolution of the created image. Change these to what
you like (you should keep the ratio of the numbers the same to avoid
distortion), then render the file again.

Tamara Munzner		The Geometry Center	     ((555) 555-5555
munzner at geom.umn.edu    http://www.geom.umn.edu/people/munzner.html