Re: [Closed REQ 5206]: geomview

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Closed REQ 5206]: geomview
  • From: "Mark Phillips" <mbp>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 95 09:10:52 -0600

> I would like to have information how to obtain your program
> Geomview. I tried to get it via anonymous FTP, as explained in the
> October 1993 issue of Notices of the AMS, however all the time I was
> getting the response LOGIN INCORRECT.

I'm not sure what the problem could be.  You should be able to ftp
to our server, geom.umn.edu (IP address 128.101.25.35) and login
as anonymous, using any non-null string as the password (we request
that you use your email address as the password).  Below is a transcript
of a session in which I do this.  Please try it again, and if it
doesn't work, send me the transcript of your session.

In the transcript below, things underlined
  like this
  ^^^^^^^^^
are things that I typed.

Note that the name of the archive file containing Geomview has changed
since the 1993 Notices article; there are now several different
files, depending on what version of Geomview you want to get.  Get
the file README for details; the names of the Geomview archive files
are now:

    geomview-sgi.tar.Z:
    geomview-next.tar:
    geomview-alpha.tar.Z:
    geomview-sun4.tar.Z:
    geomview-hp.tar.Z:
    geomview-linux.tar.Z:
    geomview-rs6000.tar.Z:
	These files all contain compiled binaries for the
	various architectures.

    geomview-src.tar.Z:
	This contains the source code.

In the session below, I retrieved the sun4 version as an example.

Mark Phillips
Geometry Center

artin% ftp geom.umn.edu
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Connected to geom.umn.edu.
220 cameron FTP server (Version 5.104 Thu Dec 15 10:10:05 CST 1994) ready.
Name (geom.umn.edu:mbp): anonymous
                         ^^^^^^^^^
331 For password please enter your e-mail address or name and institution.
Password:mbp at geom.umn.edu
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (<-- NOTE: you may not see this as you type it)

230-
230-   Welcome to the Geometry Center's ftp directory.
230-
230-   We have re-organized this directory.  Please read the
230-   file README for details.  In particular:
230-
230-     Geomview is now in directory "pub/software/geomview".
230-     Surface Evolver is now in directory "pub/software/evolver".
230-     SnapPea is now in directory "pub/software/snappea".
230-
230-   If you have problems or questions regarding this ftp directory
230-   send email to ftp at geom.umn.edu.
230-
230-   If you use Geometry Center software please send email to
230-   register at geom.umn.edu letting us know what you are doing with it.
230-   Please read the file REGISTER for details.
230-
230-   This file updated Thu Nov 18 19:30:48 1993.
230-
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> cd pub/software/geomview
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> type binary
     ^^^^^^^^^^^
200 Type set to I.
ftp> get geomview-sun4.tar.Z
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for geomview-sun4.tar.Z (6044971 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
6044971 bytes received in 28.52 seconds (2e+02 Kbytes/s)
ftp> quit
     ^^^^
221 Goodbye.
artin% ls -l
       ^^^^^
total 5904
-rw-rw-r--  1 mbp      6044971 Jan 24 09:04 geomview-sun4.tar.Z
artin%