[ REQ 5217]: unix problem with geomview

Perhaps this is not exactly a software problem--but here goes--.

I am having some problems running Geomview--the problems is on the
Unix level of things.  Perhaps is has something to do with NeXTStep
making things appear other than the really are.

Am puzzled, and welcome, solutions, suggestions, guessses, work
arounds, things to try to get more info, etc.

I am trying to use Geomview in a calculus class I teach.  I want to
be able to use Geomview (next week!) via Mathmatica (which is
installed in the Lab).  They have already done their first geomview
assignment.

Our calculus lab is a three room network of NextStep machines--of
various kinds.  (This is a closed network--not connected to
Internet.)

Basic setup--each machine is configured with the operating system on
its local disk.  But student accounts and other files are exported
via the network.  (The reason is that if there is a fileserver crash
at least the machines can be used as stand alone machines using a
generic account local to each machine.)

The reason I mention these details is that this is a somewhat unusual
set up.

Anyhow, the directory /LocalApps is a network directory and not local
to each machine.  On the other hand, /usr, and thus /usr/local/bin is
local to each machine.

So I have Geomview.app in /LocalApps and it works fine.  I think it
is last year's version.  Double click on the icon and it works.

The problem is using geomview with Mathematca.  I ran the install
script (in a number of diffent ways).  But I cannot get graphics sent
from Mathatica and appear in a Geomview window.

It works fine on my machine in my office.

When I enter << Geomview.m in a Mma window  it seems to find the file
and read it, but if I then try: Plot3d[x y, {x,-1,1}, {y,-1,1}],
geomview never gets started.

So here is some information:

in a shell window, I obtain the following information:

************************

Pen3> echo $PATH
//Unix/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sybase/bin://App
s:/LocalApps:/NextApps:/NextAdmin:/NextDeveloper/Demos:.
Pen3> geomview
/usr/local/bin/geomview: /tmp/gv/bin/next/Geomview.app/Geomview: not
found
Pen3> pwd
/usr/local/bin
Pen3> ls
anytooff*    bdy*         geomview*    medit2gv*    oogl2rib*
togeomview*
anytoucd*    geomstuff*   math2oogl*   offconsol*   polymerge*
ucdtooff*
Pen3> cat geomview
#! /bin/sh

# geomview shell script driver for the Next

GEOMVIEW_GVX=/tmp/gv/bin/next/Geomview.app/Geomview

case "$1" in
  -dbx)  dbx  $GEOMVIEW_GVX ;;
  -gdb)  gdb  $GEOMVIEW_GVX ;;
  -edge) edge $GEOMVIEW_GVX ;;
  *) exec $GEOMVIEW_GVX ${1+"$@"} ;;
esac
Pen3>  cd /LocalApps
Pen3> ls
.NextTrash/         bdy*                math2oogl*
togeomview*
Geomview.app/       co-Xist.app/        medit2gv*           ucdtooff*
UserInstaller.app/  co-XistLinker.app/  offconsol*
anytooff*           geomstuff*          oogl2rib*
anytoucd*           geomview*           polymerge*

Note: I have put extra copies of the binaries into /LocalApps since I
wanted to make sure these were available over the net--I though that
might help.

I don't understand why I can't find geomview when I appear to be in a
directory containing it.  And I don't understand why geomview (the
script) has the pathname that appears.

But i seems like my "only" problem is finding a copy of the binaries
that can be run.

D.