Re: [Closed REQ 5238]: hidden lines removal

  • To: software@geom
  • Subject: Re: [Closed REQ 5238]: hidden lines removal
  • From: "Daeron Meyer" <daeron>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 95 3:26:19 CST

> I got it, thanks! When I save it to a PS snapshot, there are shadows on the
> two sides of the cube, which is not shown on the screen. How can I get the
> not-shadow printout by PS file? On the "light" surface, the edges are solid
> lines, but on the "shadow" surface, the edges are dotted lines, and it is
> not good for my printout. If save it to a SGI image file by SGI Snapshot
> selection, the printout from PS printer is not good, the edges are dotted
> and the surfaces are not clear as that by PS snapshot, but, the good thing
> is that, there are no shadows on the picture, there are only edges output
> on the sheet with hidden lines removal, which is we need. So, I stand
> between two valeys: by PS snapshot, the printout is better but there are
> shadows; by SGI snapshot, there are no shadows but the output is not good.
> How can I get a good printout for publication? Thank you for your help.
>
> I don't know if I express clearly my qustion. If you have time, enclosed
> is my OFF file ( a hole on a cube, 24 blocks ), could you test it on your
> site to find a way to get my task? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
>
> zedai at max.civil.nwu.edu

Unfortunately these are the only two methods available at this time. If
you want to improve the quality of the screen snapshot, there are two
additional things you could try. One is, increase the size of the camera
window before you take the snapshot (which increases the effective
resolution of the final image). This image can then be scaled down so
that the resolution of the image roughly matches the resolution of your
laser printer. The second thing you should try is modifying the
"Lines Closer" value on the Camera panel before you take the snapshot.
Try changing the value to something between 15-20 (this seems to work
well for your object) to eliminate the dotted edge problem. The dotted/dashed
edges problem arises because the edges are more or less embedded in
the surface of the object. "Lines Closer" is a way of telling Geomview
to nudge all the edges a little bit closer to you, while keeping the
polygons where they are.

Hope this helps,

Daeron Meyer